Bowie’s Brixton: VIP Panel talk PLUS Musical Walking Tour
David Bowie, George Underwood, Brixton, The Ritzy Cinema, The Brixton Academy, Simon Parkes, Brian Duffy, The Brixton Pound, LegoDavidBowieIs, Bowie’s Beckenham Oddity… what do all these wonderful people and places have in common other than the legendary singer himself?
I’ll tell you! A very special EVENT bringing them all together just for one day on the 8th of January 2018!
This is an experience for anyone who loves music, art, fashion and photography but ESPECIALLY for die hard David Bowie fans. That’s right – I mean all you crazy, insane, Young Dudes, Pretty Things, China Girls and Kooks out there who LOVE David Bowie and perhaps crave something unique for his 71st Birthday Celebration!
On 8th January I will be hosting one-off extension of the London’s Original David Bowie Musical Walking Tour which launched at the start of 2017.
For this very special event you will get the 2-hour guided tour of Bowie’s vibrant hometown of Brixton PLUS a one-time panel talk at The Ritzy Cinema with special VIP guests!
Our special VIP guest panelists include:
- George Underwood – Lifelong friend of David Bowie and artist behind the ‘Hunky Dory’ and ‘The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars’ album cover
- Chris Duffy from The Duffy Archive – Chris will be representing the official archive of his father, photographer Brian Duffy; the man behind David Bowie’s Aladdin Sane album cover and many iconic fashion images. Chris also worked with David and his father on the Scary Monsters album sleeve.
- Simon Parkes, Former Brixton Academy owner – Simon paid £1 for a crumbling building in Brixton in 1983 at the age of 23. He renamed it the Brixton Academy and transformed it into a popular music venue that would go on to host iconic superstars, including David Bowie.
- Charlie Waterhouse, The Brixton Pound – Designer of the Brixton £10 note, which features Brian Duffy’s iconic photography of David Bowie and is used as legal currency in Brixton.
- MJ, LegoDavidBowieIs – MJ leads a community of Bowie fans on Instagram (@legodavidbowieis), with a following of over 20,000 fans. He organises events across London to honour the Thin White Duke.
- Wendy Faulkner, Bowie’s Beckenham Oddity – Wendy is the organiser of Bowie’s Beckenham Oddity, a festival that takes place at the bandstand in Beckenham, where Bowie and his friends from the Beckenham Arts Lab organised The UK’s first Free Festival. The festival coincided with the release of David’s first hit single Space Oddity and was immortalised with another hit song, Memory of a Free Festival. To date the event has raised thousands of pounds for the Bowie Bandstand Restoration & Plaque Fund.
I’m super excited to be hosting this event and to be interviewing cultural figurheads like George Underwood, Chris Duffy and Simon Parkes at The Ritzy Cinema. I can’t wait to hear their thoughts and memories on the icon they knew and loved!
Please spread the word to all fellow Bowie and music lovers out there, it’s gonna be a blast!
Tickets can be purchased on Eventbrite.
For those of you who can’t make the morning tour, we have now added tickets for the VIP panel discussion PLUS afternoon tour right here.
See you on the 8th of January!